10/22/11

Adventures in Night Weaning -Night 1



I am not tired. I am beyond tired. Baby Wins, Mama Loses. If there was a word that meant exhaustion x a million, that's what I am. Maybe debilitated is a good word. I cannot function from the nightime hourly nursies my 1-year-old seems to "need." I walk into walls, I look like crap, house looks like crap and no one has clean socks.
As a proponant of the anti-cry-it-out method, this whole idea of night weaning has me a little freaked out. But I am at my last rope; hanging on by a tiny piece of thread. I thought I would give night weaning a try and update y'all on the nightly progress. If there is any!
Just to be clear, I am not weaning baby; not at all. I plan to nurse her forever as she is my last baby. And as a disclaimer, sleeping through the night (STTN) is a developmental milestone, not something that you can "train" your baby to do. I am just trying to end the hourly night nursings and with that, hopefully, Indigo may want to sleep for longer stretches at night. Hopefully.
I'm willing to try Dr. Jay Gordon's method of night weaning. It is a 10-night process.

In love with Dr. Jay Gordon
Dr. Jay Gordon is not a guy who would steer us wrong. he's not Dr. Weissbluth - that jerk who lies to mamas telling us to ignore our babies cries. I hate Dr. Weissbluth - ass-hole. No, Dr. Jay is like us. (and I am secretly in love with him.) He supports long-term breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and baby-wearing and all the things that go along with attachment parenting.  I wish Dr. Jay was my doctor. He does NOT recommend night weaning the first year, as babies under 1 still need night nursies.

Losing It
Let me tell you that I am a walking dead mama. I wish my baby could understand that tired mamas don't take their kids to the park as much as well-rested mamas, tired mamas don't take kids to the zoo as much as well-rested mamas, tired mamas don't have as much patience as well-rested mamas. I'm so tired that I cry at the drop of a hat; I am desperate. And I have 3 older kids (who all STTN) to be a good mama to.

I am not desperate enough to stop co-sleeping or leaving baby alone to cry-it-out, but I feel like I need to take some sort of action. I am only human. And no, praticing attachment parenting does not have to include martyrdom.
Will night weaning help Indy to STTN? I do not know, but I need to take action.

First 3 Nights of Dr. Jay Gordon's Night Weaning Method
So the first 3 nights of Dr. Jay Gordon's gentle night weaning method go like this...Choose your most important 7 hours of sleep. I chose 11pm to 6am -the un-Godly hours. If baby wakes before or after that 7-hour timeframe, you just nurse and cuddle as usual. If baby wakes up between the hours of 11 and 6 (yeah, right "IF" -haha), for the first 3 nights, you nurse for a short time and don't let baby fall asleep at the breast and cuddle, hug, rock until she falls asleep. Do this for 3 nights and repeat whenever she wakes.

May need to Repeat Night One
Okay, Night 1 was last night and I don't think I did it right. I was so tired, I didn't know what year it was, let alone practicing a night weaning method. She actually didn't wake before 11pm, but at around midnight. I nursed her and stopped before she fell asleep, just like Dr. Jay said. She was soooo mad! I hugged, rocked, and cuddled with her, but she was not having it. I think after 15 minutes, I ended up nursing her to sleep. So I may need to repeat Night 1 again tonight with a little more dedication. I will keep you all updated night by night and hopefully Indigo will have some progress...and I will get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment